Having my weekends off may be hard on the wallet but I’m able to watch some cooking shows on TV. I came across this delicious and quick recipe from Sunny Anderson from ‘The Kitchen’ -Easy Tomato & Basil Lasagna Roll Ups.
Never had I seen Lasagna prepared this way but yum!!!
The difference for me was I omitted the chili flakes, black pepper and instead of the premade tomato sauce, I used plain canned tomato sauce with oregano, sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. The cinnamon makes you go hmmm what is that? What a dish!!! For the full recipe you can go to the Food Network site.
Below is my version:
24 lasagna noodles (from about two 1-pound packages)
One 15-ounce container ricotta
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups of parmesan cheese
1 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
Pinch of cinnamon
2 large eggs, whisked
Zest of 1 lemon
2 cans of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of oregano
Preheat oven to 375degrees
- To cook the noodles: Place noodles in a metal baking pan with sides, making sure to spread out. Pour steaming-hot salted water over the top, moving noodles around a bit to be sure the water gets between them. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 to 25 minutes. When ready to assemble, remove one at a time as you go and pat dry.
- In a bowl, add the ricotta, cheese, basil, egg, lemon zest, a pinch of cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add half the tomato sauce to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spread or tilt to even it out. Take one lasagna noodle and lay flat on the counter, then add a scoop of filling to the center and spread it along the length. Roll up the noodle and place it standing up. Repeat with the rest of noodles until the dish is full.
- Pour over remaining tomato sauce and spread to even out.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until edges begin to brown, another 5 to 10 minutes.